Renee Gusman, M.S., L.P.C.
Licensed Professional Counselor in Mid-City of New Orleans, Louisiana.
I have been in the counseling profession for over 33 years, first as a school counselor and later as a clinician in a mental health agency. For the past six years, I have been in private practice in Mid City of New Orleans.
Working in a variety of settings has given me great insight into many facets of life and the challenges it can present. Perspective, insight, experience, and knowledge are a few of the attributes I use to help my clients realize their potential.
Using Person-Centered Therapy and employing aspects of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Play Therapy, I help adults and children develop a better understanding of their thoughts and feelings while treating problems of depression, anxiety, trauma, relationships, career and education.
Using EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitizing and Reprocessing) I am able to treat those who have suffered disturbing or traumatic experiences that are often the cause of many issues including PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).
I provide a comfortable, warm, compassionate environment to allow for personal growth and development.
Life can sometimes become difficult to manage. When we feel discouraged or overwhelmed, having a trusted person to talk to can be a tremendous help. Often a close friend or relative can provide us with enough comfort and support to get through a tough time. However, sometimes we need more. We need to seek help and direction from a professional, someone who is trained and equipped to give us expert information and guidance.
My education, training, and experience enable me to address a wide variety of difficulties and situations that may be causing you to feel distressed. Treatment in my practice is a collaborative effort that begins with an initial interview and consultation to discuss your needs and plan for your treatment.
I have extensive experience using several counseling theories and techniques.
- Person-Centered, Adlerian, and Existential perspectives are used to explore, identify and prioritize issues to be addressed.
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy is helpful in changing negative thoughts into more positive one.
- EMDR, Eye Movement Desensitizaion and Reprocessing, is used to alleviate symptoms of trauma and PTSD.
- Play Therapy with children is utilized to help them resolve troubling issues.
I encourage my clients to explore lifestyle changes that will improve the quality of life such as exercise, diet, social activities, positive living and relating. Mental health is better when everything else in life is better.
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
Education & Credentials:
- License #: LA 4196
- License State: Louisiana
- Practicing Since 1986 – Current
- I was a counselor in school, clinic and agency settings.
- I opened my private practice, Bright Side Counseling, in 2011
- Masters of Science in Counseling, Loyola University New Orleans, 1985